Tuesday 15 November 2011

In The Groove

Yes, I know…It’s been a few days….apologies for my silence, but then training has gone into overdrive and there doesn’t seem to be enough time to sit and record events…..

Since we spoke last all my training sessions have gone well with the exception of Wednesday.  I had a double session the day before and then gone onto a swim coaching session in the evening…I guess I overdid it a tad as when I woke up I felt really tired.  I had clearly not recovered properly, not eaten well and was on my feet for far too many hours than is good for the average male.  I had done my run in the evening (before swim coaching) which I have learnt (or not!) does not suit my body best.  Note to self:  “I really must plan my sessions better” J

Obviously……I went ahead and started Wednesday’s session anyway! I guess you’ll come to expect this kind of flawed decision making of me as it seems I am not a fast learner when it comes to deciding what’s best for my physical wellbeing…If I had spoken to Chris he would have advised against training and ordered me to rest that day…but that’s exactly why I didn’t let him know!

Needless to say, I sacked it off after 35-mins when it was clear that my heart was not going to behave and promptly went into arrhythmia which it often does when I’m tired. I knew by then that I should just stop. Strangely enough I didn’t feel too disappointed in myself because I knew it was the right decision.  I think this was because I had at least tried to do it.

I had a good nights sleep and woke up feeling much more refreshed.  Went off to do gym session (body weight and mobility exercises) which in layman’s terms is the base phase of gym work in preparation for the more exciting stuff! I was also due to swim but ran out of time to fit the session in (will do this on Friday) so I settled for a 15-minute espresso and chat with Chris in the Club lounge bar instead.

The remaining days consisted of more base training combined with a bike tempo time trial on Saturday.  This is when I cycle a set distance whilst maintaining a pre-determined heart rate.  We measure how fast I can complete it and in theory each time I do this I should get faster.  WTS!

On Sunday I cycled up to the Wolds for a 3-hour base ride (hard session).  It felt tougher than it should have because this is my first long ride for over 6-months and my body is not conditioned to it yet. This gets easier fingers crossed! The weather was absolutely miserable, it was wet, dull, damp and cold…Typical – had I gone out on Saturday I could have got a suntan it was so lovely.  On my return I had the most enormous appetite. I had burned off about 3000 calories over the 3-hours and needed to get some serious calorie intake and quickly.  Proceeded directly to the kitchen and made a fantastic Sunday roast, finished that off with a slab of Chocolate cake, a whole bag of Tortilla chips and a coupla beers.  Job done!

Enjoyed a nice lie in on Monday morning knowing that I could do my session in the evening as I have a rest day today.  It’s a quieter week as I’m in transition.  That’s code for calm before the storm! I’ll be heading towards phase 2 shortly so I think I’ll enjoy the moment while I can.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment