Friday 28 October 2011

The Journey Ahead - The Start Line

Since taking up the Sport I’ve learnt over the last couple of years that a whole different language exists when talking about Triathlon.  In future blogs, I’ll talk in these terms because that’s how I relate it to my training and progress but I should give you a little background information up front so you don’t think I’m talking in Swahili (or complete rubbish!)

How it works…

The Plan!

Each season runs from April > September but I plan my races in October of the previous year.  There’s ‘A’ ‘B’ & ‘C’ races.  A’s are the important ones – them that you want to do well in.  B’s & C’s are the races that you’ll compete in but the results are not necessarily your personal bests, (or that important) these can also be called ‘Training races’

I decide what my targets are.  I’ll preferably go in for 3 x A races (max) and then plot in additional B or C races around the A’s depending on when they fall into the calendar and how many I can fit in. Once the A’s are diarised me and my Coach Chris work backwards 24 weeks from the earliest A race. This is the time it should take to get from base (aerobic) fitness to peak fitness (ready to compete at best). Once that’s sorted we will work in the remaining races around the others. This is otherwise known as the ’Annual Training Plan ‘ATP’ from now on! Simple right?

ATP Calendar 2012

March 2012  - Training Race TBC (B Race)
April 2012 (20th) - Eilat, Israel – European Championships (A Race)
May 2012 - Training Race TBC (B Race)
June 2012 (24th) - Shropshire Triathlon (Worlds Champs Qualifier) (A Race)
July 2012 (1st) - Deva Triathlon (Worlds Champs Qualifier) (A Race)
August 2012 - Training Race TBC (C Race)
Sept 2012 - Training Race TBC (B Race)
October 2012 – World Champs New Zealand(A Race)

The Schedule!

Chris (he’s my coach remember http://www.yorktriathloncoaching.com/  http://corefitnesseducation.co.uk/team.php ) will put together a harsh/impossible (only kidding) periodised training plan (that means we work in phased blocks)

This plan is phased into Base, build and Peak periods and within each phase the intensity and focus increases. The base phase is to establish consistent fitness, stamina and build endurance. This would typically include high volume (long runs) low intensity (not too fast), but still carries targets to hit!

The Build phase introduces top end work (high intensity in small quantities)

The Peak Phase (my favourite) consists of short, sharp sessions.  Top end work (as Chris calls it), low volume, High intensity

Still here?

Here’s a graph that hopefully illustrates what I mean!














The Action!

Each phase will consist of approx 3 x training sessions per week of each discipline (swim, bike, run) which Chris will plan in advance in great detail (torture). The base sessions will also include technique work such as swim stroke, single leg drills on the bike (pushing the pedal with one leg) and also foot speed drills on the running, which are designed to iron out weak spots. There is usually 1 x long bike ride per week (3 hours) over and above the rest.

As an aside….Lets not forget just how much kit is required to do all this- spare a thought for the washer! My wife now wants us to have separate basket for the ‘exercise kit’ as she calls it.

In the base phase (currently in this one!) I’ll train for between 10-13 hours p/week.  This is where it gets tricky if things knock me off course…..& they always do!

No comments:

Post a Comment